fr

Sulina, the European Far-East.






At km 0 of the Danube, Sulina's old lighthouse is only a symbol. Eastern gate of the European Union since the accession of Romania in 2007, it illuminates no more cargo. At the beginning of last century, the Black Sea pulled downwards, discovering a few parcels of vacant land around the building. Meanwhile, the European Danube Commission has gone, and with it a host of traders: Turkish, Greek, German, French, Russian, Lipovans and Ukrainian Cossacks. Ten consulates have lowered their flag. French has lost its status of official language and Romania has resumed his duties on this deserted territory. That was in 1939 and since then the town has ceased to believe in his redemption.




Full text available in french here